Top 10 European Venture Capital Investors to follow in 2021
Europe’s startup ecosystem has undergone significant growth in recent years. Some of the recent fastest-growing and industry-disruptive global businesses, such as Kompany, Delivery Hero, Flixbus, N26, were initially founded as startups on the “old continent”. Based on a list of the 1.000 fastest-growing companies in Europe, recently published by Financial Times, Europe has developed an environment for innovation and growth, which enables its hub to catch up with leading hubs like Silicon Valley. Additionally, investors’ interest in European ventures has increased in parallel. The network effects within leading ecosystems are undeniably important to successful growth stories and this is where global venture investment superstars play a large role.
TOP10 European VC Investors
In the list below we highlight 10 leading venture capital investors in Europe (selected by experts at Dealmatrix and Venionaire Capital) according to their rank in the Forbes European Midas List. The investors have been selected out of an already well-curated list of 25 leading European venture capitalists by Forbes’ European Midas 2020, which features the best start-up dealmakers on the “old continent”. In its methodology, Forbes uses not only quantitative parameters for the valuation of the companies, but also qualitative parameters such as expert opinions.
The DealMatrix and Venionaire Capital analyst teams selected 10 outstanding leaders within the venture capital industry and researched a little deeper their most notable deals, as well as their latest fund activities.
Current Portfolio: 191
# of Exits: 32
- Cutover, Series B, $ 35M. The round was led by Eldbridge. Index Ventures joined together with Sussex Place Ventures and Contour Venture Partners
- Rohlik, series B, EUR 190M. The round was led by Partech. Index Ventures joined with R2G, Quadrille Capital, J&T Finance Group, ENERN Investments and EBRD. According to Forbes 2021, the company was worth above EUR 600M
- Startup Wise Guys, $ 15M. Index Ventures invested together with OTB Ventures, Atomico and 500 Startups
Founder & Managing Partner
Current Portfolio: 69
# of Exits: 4
Klaus Hommels is ranked as the top 6 tech investor in Europe according to Forbes. Hommels was an early investor in King.com acquired by Activision Blizzard, Skype which is currently owned by Microsoft and Spotify which was listed on the NYSE. Was an angel investor in FB and had also invested in the recently IPOed AirBnB.
- Rows – series B, $ 16M, Lakestar was a lead investor and was joined by Accel, Cherry Ventures and Christian Reber
- Public.com – $ 220M, series D round. Lakestar invested together with 12 other investors. Among them are Vine Capital, Tiger Global Management, Philip DeFranco, Mantis Venture Capital
- Blockchain.com – $120M with 8 other investors. Among them are Safety Wing, Moore Strategic Ventures & Lightspeed Venture Partners
Current Portfolio: 30
# of Exits: 3
- Workiz, Series B, $ 13M. The round was led by New Era Capital Partners. Aleph joined together with TMT Investments, Maor Investments and Magenta Venture Partners
- Securithings, Series A, $ 14M. The round was led by Aleph and subsequently joined by Firstime Venture Capital
- Anecdotes, seed, $ 5M. The round was led by Aleph as well as Gillot Capital Partners and was joined by Ron Zoran and Gerhard Eschelbeck
Partner (European Chief)
Current Portfolio: 779
# of Exits: 167
- Instacart, $ 265M. The pre-money valuation was $ 38.7B. Sequoia Capital co-invested together with T. Rowe Price, Fidelity Management and D1 Capital Partners and Andreseen Horowitz
- NEWNESS, seed, $ 3.5M. Sequoia Capital led the round and was joined by Upside Partnership, Kevin Lin, Kevin Hartz, Julia Hartz, Jonathan Shipman, John Sutton, Index Ventures, Iman Abuzeid, Dream Machine and Cowboy Ventures
- Aquarium, seed, $ 2.6M. Sequoia Capital led the round and was joined by Y Combinator, Kyle Vogt, Daniel Kan and Base Case Capital
Current Portfolio: N/A
# of Exits: 36
Saul Klein is ranked as the top 17 tech investor in Europe according to Forbes Midas List 2020. Klein seems to be very focused on tech. He was among the first executives of skype and a former general partner at Index Ventures. Today he is partner and co-founder of the PE and VC fund LocalGlobe. In the past, he has invested in unicorns such as Improbable (Valued at more than $ 2B. in 2018), Melio (valued at $ 1.3B in 2021) and Skype (currently owned by Microsoft).
- Libeo – Series A, Invested 20M. LocalGlobe invested together with Serena, DST and Breega.
- Tillit – seed, invested EUR 2,5M. The round was lead by Sequoia Capital. LocalGlobe joined the round together with Visionaries Club.
- Compa – seed, EUR 3M, LocalGlobe led the round and was also joined by Discovery Ventures.
General Partner & Founder
Current Portfolio: 12
# of Exits: N/A
Gil Dibner is ranked as the top 21 tech investor in Europe according to Forbes 2020. He lives in Tel Aviv, Israel and invests mainly in software. Over the years Dibner has made some considerable investments in speech technology, cybersecurity and software management. Recently he realised an exit in his investment Jfrog via IPO in 2020. Seems to focus on Europe & Israel and on companies that have raised less than $1M.
- Levity, Angular Ventures was a lead investor in $ 1.7M pre-seed round and was joined by System.One, Stefan Jeschonnek, Martin Henk, Jeremy Yap, Jan Deepen
- Firebolt, $35M series C round. Angular Ventures invested together with Zeev Ventures, TLV partner and Bessemer Venture Partners
- Datos, A round, $7M. Angular Ventures invested together with Vertex Ventures Israel, Industry Ventures, Crescendo Venture Partners
Current Portfolio: 43
# of Exits: 14
Originally from South Africa, Sean Seton-Rogers is now a citizen of the U.K and the U.S.A. Currently, he is ranked as the top 22 tech investor in Europe according to the European Midas List. After leaving behind his position in Benchmark, in 2009 he founds PROfounders. Some of his more notable investments include Onefinestay (acquired by AccorHotels in 2016) and Leap Motion (acquired by Ultraleap in 2019). Additionally, Seton-Rogers is a member of the board of GetYourGuide which changes the way people travel and explore new destinations.
- Nodalview, series A, EUR 4M, PROfounders was a lead investor and was joined by Volta Ventures and K Fund
- Blueheart, seed, GBP 1M, PROfounders was a lead investor with the participation of Calm/Storm Ventures
- Bloobirds, series unknown, EUR 3M, PROfounders was a lead investor with the participation of K Fund and Encomenda Venture Capital
Current Portfolio: 56
# of Exits: 38
Johan Brenner is ranked as the top 23 tech investor in Europe according to Forbes Midas list 2020. Brenner lives in Stockholm, Sweden. He seems to invest predominantly in software and over the years has made some big exits in Fintech.
Current Portfolio: 144
# of Exits: 25
Pawel Chudzinski is ranked as the top 24 tech investor in Europe according to Forbes 2020. Over the years he has displayed some notable investments in fintech, crypto companies as well as B2B marketplaces. Some of them are Chainalysis, Revolut (valued at $ 5.5B in 2020) and Delivery Hero (IPO in 2017).
- CloudTalk, series A, EUR 6M. The round was led by henQ and joined by Point Nine
- intenseye, seed, $ 4M, Point Nine led the round together with Airstreet Capital. Zehen Wang and Zane Lackey also joined the round
- Container xChange, the investment round and amount raised remain undisclosed. Point Nine invested together with Piton Capital and OMERS Ventures
General Partner & Founder
Current Portfolio: 13
# of Exits: N/A
- WeGift, Series A, $ 12M, the round is led by AlbionVC. Stride VC joined together with Unilever Ventures, SAP.iO, CommerzVentures, AlbionVC
- Huboo, Series A, GBP 14M, the round is led by Stride VC and joined by True., Maersk Growth, Hearst Ventures, Episode 1, Ada Ventures
- Front of the Pack, seed, USD 3.5M, Investors were Stride VC, Heartcore Capital, Founder Collective